Product Review - Saffola Total, Healthier Way to Stay Fit & Nankhatai (Recipe)


No matter how much I love Olive Oil but good old refined oil always has a place in my kitchen, may be it is intrinsic, when I am cooking Indian foods my hand first reaches out for refined oil and then my mind reminds it to use olive oil, may be the reason is I have not grown up in the olive oil era, I always saw a large yellowish container of refined oil in my mother's kitchen and she was the first person to educate me about the refined oil.


I still remember when for the first time after marriage I went for grocery shopping that same large yellowish container of oil was the only product familiar to me in the oil section and that was the day when for the first time I read it's name - Saffola. Though now in my kitchen shelf Saffola has a tough competition with imported counterparts but I cannot think of my daily Indian cooking without it.


With the tag line of "Saffola Total protects better than olive oil" Marico launched the new range of edible oil called - Saffola Total, which is blend of 70 per cent rice bran oil and 30 per cent refined safflower seed oil and is supposed to have twice the anti-oxidant power of olive oil along with lower absorption and specifically designed for Indian cooking.


In December, The Hindu said, "Saffola pits itself against olive oil category," and which is a competitive move, as supermarket shelfs are flooded with unknown imported oil brands and consumers buying them without even reading the label carefully, just because it is tagged as Olive Oil does not make it a healthy choice for your family. I prefer to trust brand, which is tried and tested by the family from generations rather than some unknown self-proclaimed imported oils.


Though I am a regular user of Saffola Oil in cooking but never used it for baking or deserts as I always has this notion in my mind that olive oil/canola oil offers better results in deserts rather than refined oil. Few days back my aunt-baked Nankhatai and she shared with me this most simple recipe of the Indian Cookie - Nankhatai, her recipe says use 1 Cup of refined oil so I used Saffola Total though I was still skeptical about the end result. But the end result is simply wonderful which you can see in the images and taste was exactly like we use to buy from our local bakery years ago.


These days we all have fallen for fancy first world cookies with gourmet ingredients and somewhere Indian baked goodies have lost their glory, infact in metros kids don't even know about them. When I baked these Nankhatais, I felt so nostalgic after tasting them because after moving out from my hometown I never felt the urge to bake them or search for them again I was so happy with those English Cookies.

So as the world continues to get healthy and fit, it doesn't mean we have to completely give up our Mum's favorite recipes or our guilty pleasure snacks in the name of health!


Recipe: Nankhatai - The Indian Cookies

Yield: 30 cookies

Ingredients
2 ¼ Cup Refined Flour
½ Cup Gram Flour
1 Cup granulated white sugar
¼ Cup Yoghurt, at room temperature
1 Tsp green cardamom powder
1 Tsp baking powder

Method:
Cream saffola total oil and sugar together in a bowl for 3 - 4 minutes at low speed.
Add the yogurt and beat again at low speed for 2 - 3 minutes. Rest the mixture for 5 - 10 minutes.
Meanwhile sift flour, gram flour and baking powder together in a bowl. Mix in cardamom powder as well.
Mix the sifted flour to the wet ingredients ⅓ at a time, once all of the flour is added try to form a dough with your fingers. Do not knead it just bind it together like shortcrust pastry.
Transfer the dough to a clean bowl and let it rest for half an hour.
Preheat the oven at 180 degree celcius. Line a baking tray with cookie sheet or parchment paper.
Divide the dough into thirty small balls and slightly flatten each ball with fingers.
If you want sliced almond or pistachio can be put on top of each ball.
Bake for about 25 minutes or you can check after 20 minutes.
Let them cool on a wire rack before transferring to container.


Thanks for stopping by
Hina

7 comments:

  1. After having burnt cookies in my last attempt, I am going to dare another try. This time I will be more careful with the time.
    Beautiful photos as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the pictures Hina, they look so inviting...hows ur vacation been??

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love Nankhatais. The cookies look so yum. I guess I will try making these before Holi. And Saffola remains very dear to most of the families. No other brand stands out as much as Saffola! Thanks for the review and the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made Nainkhatai yesterday looking at this recipe and to my surprise it turned out so good. Usually I'm miserable when it comes to cooking but Nainkhatais were yum. Thanks for the post and Saffola review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very bad at cooking but somehow I feel like cooking this recipe. Thanks for sharing. It's a good read! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time out and sharing your views with us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...